Create an Azure IoT Central application
As a builder, you use the Azure IoT Central UI to define your Microsoft Azure IoT Central application. This quickstart shows you how to:
- Create an Azure IoT Central application that contains a sample device template and simulated devices.
- View the features of the Refrigerated Vending Machine device template in your application.
- View the telemetry and analytics from your simulated Refrigerator devices.
In this quickstart, you view a simulated Refrigerator device from a device template. The simulated device:
- Sends telemetry, such as temperature and pressure, to your application.
- Reports device property values, such as a motion alert, to your application.
- Has device settings, such as fan speed, that you can set in the application.
When you create a simulated device from a device template in an Azure IoT Central application, the simulated device enables you to test your application before you connect a real device.
Create the application
To complete this quickstart, you need to create an Azure IoT Central application from the Sample Contoso application template.
Navigate to the Azure IoT Central Application Manager page. Then enter the email address and password you use to access your Azure subscription:
To start creating a new Azure IoT Central application, choose New Application:
To create a new Azure IoT Central application:
- Choose the Free Trial Application payment plan.
- Choose a friendly application name, such as Contoso IoT. Azure IoT Central generates a unique URL prefix for you. You can change this URL prefix to something more memorable.
- Choose the Sample Contoso application template.
- Then choose Create.
Navigate to the application
When your application is ready, the Homepage of your application displays. The Design Mode on the top right can be toggled to edit the Homepage. The application URL is the URL you specified in the previous step:
Use the left navigation menu to access the different areas of your new Azure IoT Central application:
To view the device templates and devices in your application, choose Device Explorer on the left navigation menu. The sample application includes the Refrigerated Vending Machine device template. There are three simulated devices already created from this device template:
View the device template and devices
Use the following steps to view a refrigerator device that was created from the Refrigerated Vending Machine device template. A device template defines:
- Measurements, such as temperature telemetry, sent from a device.
- Settings, such as fan speed, that enable you to control the device.
- Properties, such as serial number, that store information about the device.
- Rules that enable you to automate actions based on the behavior of the device.
- A customizable dashboard that displays information about the device.
You can create both simulated and real devices from a device template.
The Measurements page for the Refrigerator 1 device displays. You can see the list of measurements sent from the simulated device. The page also displays a customizable chart of the visible measurements:
You can toggle the visibility of individual elements and customize the chart. The current chart shows telemetry from a simulated device. You can add new measurements to the device template if you have appropriate permissions.
You may need to wait for a short while before the simulated data appears on the chart.
Choose Settings. On the Settings page, you can control the device. For example, you can update the fan speed on the refrigerator:
A setting shows as synced when a device acknowledges the change.
Choose Properties. On the Properties page, you can:
- Maintain information about your device, such as the customer name.
- View property values reported by the device, such as a motion alert.
Choose Dashboard. The dashboard is a customizable view of information about your device such as measurements, properties, and KPIs:
A device set uses a query to dynamically select a set of devices that match a criteria. For example, the Machines in Seattle device set selects refrigerator devices whose location is Seattle. To view the Machines in Seattle device set, choose Device Sets in the left navigation menu, and then choose Machines in Seattle:
You can view analytics data for the devices in a device set on the Analytics page:
In this quickstart, you created a pre-populated Azure IoT Central application that contains a Refrigerated Vending Machine device template and simulated devices. See Define a new device template in your application to learn more, as a builder, about how to define your own device templates.