Create a fully qualified domain name in the Azure portal for a Linux VM
When you create a virtual machine (VM) in the Azure portal, a public IP resource for the virtual machine is automatically created. You use this IP address to remotely access the VM. Although the portal does not create a fully qualified domain name, or FQDN, you can add one once the VM is created. This article demonstrates the steps to create a DNS name or FQDN.
Create a FQDN
- Select your VM in the portal.
- In the left menu, select Configuration
- Under DNS name label, enter the prefix you want to use.
- Select Save at the top of the page.
- Return to the VM overview blade by selecting Overview in the left menu.
- Verify that the DNS name appears correctly.
You can also manage DNS using Azure DNS zones.