Kerberos Configuration Manager for SQL Server is available
This article describes the Microsoft Kerberos Configuration Manager diagnostic tool for SQL Server.
Applies to: SQL Server
Original KB number: 2985455
About Kerberos Configuration Manager
This tool is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
The Kerberos Configuration Manager for SQL Server is a diagnostic tool that helps troubleshoot Kerberos related connectivity issues with SQL Server, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS). It can perform the following functions:
- Collect information about operating system (OS), Microsoft SQL Server instances, and Always On Availability Group Listeners installed on a server.
- Report all Service Principal Name (SPN) and delegation configurations on the server.
- Identify potential problems in SPNs and delegations.
- Fix potential SPN problems.
This tool helps troubleshoot the following exceptions:
This error message is for http errors, SSRS errors, and some other similar errors.
Login failed for user 'NTAUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS'
Login failed for user '(null)'
Login failed for user ''
Cannot generate SSPI Context
For more information about Kerberos Configuration Manager, see the following:
Install instructions and Additional Information sections on the download page
The following blog posts on TechCommunity:
Released: update for Kerberos Configuration Manager for SQL Server
Released: Microsoft Kerberos Configuration Manager for SQL Server 4.1 - Microsoft Tech Community
To Start the Tool:
- After the installation is completed successfully, navigate to the installation folder (the default folder location is
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Kerberos Configuration Manager for SQL Server\)
- Double-click KerberosConfigMgr.exe to start the application.
- To troubleshoot the connectivity issue with SQL Server, connect to the destination computer by using a domain user account that has user permissions to that computer.
- To troubleshoot the connectivity issue with SSRS, connect to the destination computer by using a domain user account that has administrative permissions to that computer.
To Generate the SPN List from the Command Line:
Go to the command line.
To troubleshoot the connectivity issue with SSRS, start the command line window as administrator.
Switch to the folder where KerberosConfigMgr.exe is.
KerberosConfigMgr.exe -q -l.
For more command-line option, type
To Save a Server's Kerberos Configuration Information:
- Connect to the target windows server.
- Click the Save button on the toolbar.
- Specify the location where you want the file to be saved. It can be on a local drive or a network share.
- The file will be saved as the .XML format.
To View a Server's Kerberos Configuration Information from the Saved File:
- Click the Load button on the toolbar.
- Open the XML file generated by Kerberos Configuration Manager.
To Generate a Script to Fix the SPN from the Command Line:
- Click the Generate button for the SPN entry.
- The generated script can be used by a user who has permissions to fix the SPN on the server.
To See the Log Files for This Tool:
By default, one-log file is generated every time that the application is run in the user's application data folder:
To Get Help:
- Option 1: Hover the pointer over the command for tooltip.
- Option 2: Run
KerberosConfigMgr.exe -hfrom the command line.
- Option 3: Click the Help button in the toolbar.
- SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services
- SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Enterprise X64 Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Evaluation Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Standard X64 Edition
- SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition
- SQL Server 2008 Developer
- SQL Server 2008 Enterprise
- SQL Server 2008 Express
- SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Express
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Web
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Workgroup
- SQL Server 2008 Standard
- SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition for Small Business
- SQL Server 2008 Web
- SQL Server 2008 Workgroup
- SQL Server 2012 Developer
- SQL Server 2012 Enterprise
- SQL Server 2012 Express
- SQL Server 2012 Standard
- SQL Server 2012 Web
- SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Core
- SQL Server 2014 Developer
- SQL Server 2014 Enterprise
- SQL Server 2014 Enterprise Core
- SQL Server 2014 Express
- SQL Server 2014 Standard
- SQL Server 2014 Web