Troubleshoot issues when you sign up for a new account in Azure portal
You may experience an issue when you try to sign up for a new account in the Microsoft Azure portal. This short guide will walk you through the sign-up process and discuss some common issues at each step.
If you already have an existing account and are looking for guidance to troubleshoot sign-in issues, see Troubleshoot Azure subscription sign-in issues.
Before you begin
Before beginning sign-up, verify the following:
- The information for your Azure profile (including contact email address, street address, and telephone number) is correct.
- Your credit card information is correct.
- You don't already have a Microsoft account that has the same information.
Guided walkthrough of Azure sign-up
The Azure sign-up experience consists of four sections:
- About you
- Identity verification by phone
- Identity verification by card
This walkthrough provides examples of the correct information to sign up for an Azure account. Each section also contains some common issues and how to resolve them.
When you initially sign up for Azure, you have to provide some information about yourself, including:
- Your country or region
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Phone number
- Credit card information
Common issues and solutions
You see the message “We cannot proceed with sign-up due to an issue with your account. Please contact billing support”
To resolve this error, follow these steps:
- Sign in to the Microsoft account center.
- At the top of the page, select Your info.
- Verify that your billing and shipping details are are completed and valid.
- When you sign up for the Azure subscription, verify that the billing address for the credit card registration matches your bank records.
If you continue to receive the message, try to sign up by using a different browser.
How about InPrivate browsing?
Free trial is not available
You see the message 'You are not eligible for an Azure subscription'
To resolve this issue, double-check whether the following items are true:
- The information that you provided for your Azure account profile (including contact email address, street address, and telephone number) is correct.
- The credit card information is correct.
- You don't already have a Microsoft account that uses the same information.
You see the message 'Your current account type is not supported'
This issue can occur if the account is registered in an unmanaged Azure AD directory, and it is not in your organization's Azure AD directory. To resolve this issue, sign up the Azure account by using another account, or take over the unmanaged AD directory. For more information, see Take over an unmanaged directory as administrator in Azure Active Directory.
Identity verification by phone
When you get the text message or telephone call, enter the code that you receive in the text box.
Common issues and solutions
No verification text message or phone call
Although the sign-up verification process is typically quick, it may take up to four minutes for a verification code to be delivered.
Here are some additional tips:
- You can use any phone number for verification as long as it meets the requirements. The phone number that you enter for verification isn't stored as a contact number for the account.
- A Voice-over-IP (VoiP) phone number can't be used for the phone verification process.
- Check that your phone can receive calls or SMS messages from a United States-based telephone number.
- Double-check the phone number that you enter, including the country code that you select in the drop-down menu.
- If your phone doesn't receive text messages (SMS), try the Call me option.
Identity verification by card
Common issues and solutions
Credit card declined or not accepted
Virtual or pre-paid credit or debit cards aren't accepted as payment for Azure subscriptions. To see what else may cause your card to be declined, see Troubleshoot a declined card at Azure sign-up.
Credit card form doesn't support my billing address
Your billing address must be in the country that you select in the About you section. Verify that you have selected the correct country.
Progress bar hangs in identity verification by card section
To complete the identity verification by card, third-party cookies must be allowed for your browser.
Use the following steps to update your browser's cookie settings.
Update the cookie settings.
If you're using Chrome:
- Select Settings > Show advanced settings > Privacy > Content settings. Clear Block third-party cookies and site data.
If you're using Microsoft Edge:
- Select Settings > View advanced settings > Cookies > Don't block cookies.
Refresh the Azure sign-up page and check whether the problem is resolved.
If the refresh didn't resolve the issue, then exit and restart the browser, and try again.
I saw a charge on my free trial account
You may see a small, temporary verification hold on your credit card account after you sign up. This hold is removed within three to five days. If you are worried about managing costs, read more about Analyzing unexpected charges.
Complete the Agreement.
Can't activate Azure benefit plan like Visual Studio, BizSpark, BizSparkPlus, or MPN
Check that you're using the correct sign-in credentials. Then, check the benefit program and verify that you're eligible.
- Visual Studio
- Microsoft for Startups
Can't activate new Azure In Open subscription
To create an Azure In Open subscription, you must have a valid Online Service Activation (OSA) key that has at least one Azure In Open token associated with it. If you don't have an OSA key, contact one of the Microsoft Partners that are listed in Microsoft Pinpoint.
Additional help resources
Other troubleshooting articles for Azure Billing and Subscriptions
Contact us for help
If you have questions or need help, create a support request.