Warning message when you run the Exchange 2010 Best Practices Analyzer: The AutomaticManagedPagefile property is set to True
Original KB number: 2695093
Consider the following scenario:
- You install Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or Exchange Server 2007 SP3.
- You enable the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives option in Windows Server.
- You run the Microsoft Exchange Best Practices Analyzer.
In this scenario, the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer returns no information about the paging file. Additionally, you may receive a warning message like this one:
The AutomaticManagedPagefile property is set to True, if you want to retrieve page file settings, please set the AutomaticManagedPagefile property to False.
This issue can occur if Windows Server is configured to automatically manage the size of the paging file.
To work around this issue, disable the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives option, and set the paging file to a custom size. To do this, follow these steps:
- In Control Panel, click System.
- Click Advanced system settings.
- On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
- On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
- Click to clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.
- Click Custom size, and then enter the page file size in the Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB) fields, and then click Set.
We recommend that you set initial and maximum values to how much RAM is installed on the server plus 10 megabytes.
- Click OK three times, and then click Restart Now.
After you disable the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives option, you may receive a warning message that resembles the following when you run the Best Practices Analyzer:
Paging file size less than Physical Memory... Server: < server_name >
The paging file size (paging_file_size) is less than the physical memory size (amount_of_physical_memory) plus 10 MB. It is recommended that the paging file size equal the physical memory size plus 10 MB.
You receive this message if you don't set a custom size for the paging file.
For information about how to set the paging file size on a server that's running Exchange Server, see Page File Size is Less than Physical Memory Size Plus 10 MB.