Update 2874216 breaks the content index in Exchange Server 2013
Original KB number: 2879739
After you install update 2874216, you experience the following issues in Microsoft Exchange Server 2013:
Update 2874216 is described in security update MS13-061.
You don't experience these symptoms after you install the Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2010 versions of the MS13-061 security update.
- The content index (CI) for mailbox databases shows "Failed" on the affected server.
- The Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller service is missing.
- You see a new service that's named "Host Controller service for Exchange."
To work around this problem, update the following registry entries.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Search Foundation for Exchange
Set the value of the DataDirectory registry entry to the Data directory path for the Exchange Server installation.
For example, if the Exchange Server installation directory is C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15, you would set the value of the DataDirectory registry entry to the following path:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data
- Set the value of the DisplayName registry entry to "Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller."
- Add a new multi-string value that's named DependOnService, and then set its value to http.
- Restart the Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller service.
The change to the service display name will take effect after you restart the server.