Skype for Microsoft Update
This article describes how to keep Skype updated through Microsoft Update and through the Upgrade function in Skype.
Applies to: Windows 10 - all editions
Original KB number: 2876229
Skype releases new versions of Skype for Windows throughout the year. To help you stay current with new functionality and features of the Skype experience, Skype is available through Microsoft Update.
Skype includes the following:
- Chat every day with free instant messages.
- Share photos and see them inline, right in the chat.
- See your family come together over a free group video call.
- Switch between calling and messages - or do both at the same time.
- Make low-cost calls and text messages to mobiles and landlines
To make it simple and fast for Skype users to upgrade to the latest version of Skype for Windows, we've integrated Skype into Microsoft Update. If you have Skype installed on your PC already, either directly from Skype website or through a preinstalled version on your PC, you'll receive the latest version of Skype through Microsoft Update.
To check whether Skype is already installed on your PC, follow these steps:
Select Start, select Run, type regedit in the Open window, and then select OK.
In the navigation pane of the Registry Editor window, look for the following registry key:
If the registry key exists, select the
Phonefolder. If the registry key doesn't exist, Skype isn't installed on the computer.
In the main pane of the Registry Editor window, you should see an entry that is named
SkypePath. The value in the Data column will tell you where Skype is installed on the computer. If the
SkypePathentry doesn't exist, go to step 5.
SkypePathkey doesn't exist, look for the following registry key, and then repeat steps 3 and 4:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Skype\Phone key doesn't exist, and if the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Skype\Phone key does exist, Skype was installed from an administrator account but was not used from the current account. If neither key exists, Skype is not installed on the computer.
If you're planning to upgrade from an earlier version of Skype for Windows, you can learn more about the updates on the Skype blog.
You can obtain the update in two ways:
- Through Microsoft Update.
- Through the Upgrade function in the Skype application. To use the Upgrade function, follow these steps:
- On the menu bar, select Help, and then select Check for Updates.
- After you check the version, select Download, and then select Upgrade.
Skype will automatically be updated only on PCs on which Skype is already installed. Skype will not automatically be updated on any PC that doesn't already have Skype installed.
How can I install the latest version of Skype for Windows?
To install Skype for Windows, follow these steps: