Error "Value does not fall within the expected range" when changing a DFS replication group or namespace in Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2012 R2
This article provides help to solve an issue where you can't add members to a Distributed File System (DFS) replication group or namespace after you install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.
Original product version: Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2
Original KB number: 4049095
You install the .NET Framework 4.7 on a computer that has Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server 2012 R2 installed. When you try to do one of the following operations in the DFS Management console, you receive a "Value does not fall within the expected range." error message:
- Create a new replication group and add (select Add) servers to the new replication group.
- Add a new member to an existing replication group and search (select Browse) for a server that you want to add.
- Create or edit a new namespace and search (select Browse) for a server that you want to add.
This issue also occurs when your computer contains the CLR.dll version 4.7.2102.0, even if you have not installed the .NET Framework 4.7.
To fix this issue, install the following cumulative updates or later cumulative updates.
- Windows Server 2012 R2: February 22, 2018-KB4075212 (Preview of Monthly Rollup)
- Windows Server 2016: February 22, 2018-KB4077525 (OS Build 14393.2097)
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods:
Use PowerShell cmdlets or command-line tools (dfsutil.exe or dfsradmin.exe) instead of the DFS Management console.
Type the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of a server that you want to add instead of searching for the server.
This method does not work for a newly created replication group.
Uninstall the .NET Framework 4.7.