Log files are deleted when you use Performance Monitor in Windows Server
This article provides a solution to an error that occurs when you use Windows Performance Monitor to monitor system activity.
Applies to: Windows Server 2012 R2
Original KB number: 2916994
Consider the following scenario:
- You use Windows Performance Monitor to monitor system activity in Windows Server.
- You do one of the following:
- You use a template to create a Data Collector Set.
- You configure the new Data Collector Set on the Data Manager tab by using the default properties or the same properties that are configured in a different Data Collector Set.
- The Performance Monitor log files that are generated are saved to the same folder as other Performance Monitor files.
In this scenario, all the Performance Monitor logs and all other files and folders that are in the same folder are deleted.
This issue occurs because Performance Monitor cannot determine which files should be saved or deleted.
To work around this issue, do one of the following:
- Save the Performance Monitor log files to a different folder.
- Change the default settings when you configure a Data Collector Set on the Data Manager tab. For example, change the Minimum free disk space or Maximum folders setting.
- Do not use a template to create Data Collector Sets.