How to Print to File without user intervention
This article describes how to Print to File without user intervention.
Original product version: Windows Server 2012 R2
Original KB number: 2528405
When choosing the option to Print to File from an application, the user is prompted with a dialog to choose the location and name of the file to be saved. If it is desired to automate the
print to file process in such a way as to save the file without user interaction, follow below steps.
Here are the steps to achieve it:
- Go to Devices and Printers.
- Click on Add Printers.
- Click on Add a local or network printer as an administrator.
- Click on Add a local printer.
- Click on Create a new port: Local Port.
- You will get a Port Name Box - Type in Path and the file name. for example, "C:\Temp\PrintJob.txt".
- Select the Manufacturer - Generic.
- Select Printers - Generic / Text Only.
- Select - Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended).
- Type a name for the printer.
- Share the Printer if needed.
After these steps, any print jobs sent to this printer will automatically be saved to the location specified as the port.