You can have multiple budgets for identical time periods by creating budgets with separate names. First, you set up the budget name and enter the budget figures. The budget name is then included on all the budget entries you create.
When you create a budget, you can define four dimensions for each budget. These budget-specific dimensions are called budget dimensions. You select the budget dimensions for each budget from among the dimensions you have already set up. Budget dimensions can be used to set filters on a budget and to add dimension information to budget entries. For more information, see Working with Dimensions.
Budgets play an important role in business intelligence, such as in financial statement based on account schedules that include budget entries or when analysing budgeted versus actual amounts in the chart of accounts. For more information, see Business Intelligence.
This functionality requires that your experience is set to Suite. For more information, see Customizing Your Financials Experience.
To create a new budget
- Choose the icon, enter G/L Budgets, and then choose the related link.
- Choose the Edit List action, and then fill in the fields as necessary. Choose a field to read a short description of the field or link to more information.
- Choose the Edit Budget action.
At the top of the Budget window, fill in the fields as necessary to define what is displayed.
Only entries that contain the budget name that you entered in the budget Name field are shown. Because the budget name has just been created, there are no entries that match the filter. Therefore, the window is empty.
- To enter an amount, choose the relevant cell in the matrix. The G/L Budget Entries window opens.
- Create a new line and fill in the Amount field. Close the G/L Budget Entries window.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you have entered all of the budget amounts.
On the Filters FastTab, you can filter the budget information by budget dimensions you have set up under the budget name.