To undo an erroneous journal posting, you select the entry and create a reverse entry (entries identical to the original entry but with opposite sign in the amount field) with the same document number and posting date as the original entry. After reversing an entry, you must make the correct entry.
You can only reverse entries that are posted from a general journal line. An entry can only be reversed once.
For more information about posting from a general journal, see Post Transactions Directly to the General Ledger.
If you have made an incorrect negative quantity posting, such as a purchase order with the wrong number of items and posted it as received but not invoiced, then you can undo the posting.
If you have made an incorrect positive quantity posting, such as a purchase return order with the wrong number of items and posted it as shipped but not invoiced, then you can undo the posting.
To reverse the journal posting of a general ledger entry
You can reverse entries from all Ledger Entries windows. The following procedure is based on the General Ledger Entries window.
- Choose the icon, enter General Ledger Entries, and then choose the related link.
- Select the entry that you want to reverse, and then choose the Reverse Transaction action. Note that is must originate from a journal posting.
- In the Reverse Transaction Entries window, select the relevant entry, and then choose the Reverse action.
- Choose the Yes button on the confirmation message.
To undo a quantity posting on a posted purchase receipt
- Choose the icon, enter Posted Purchase Receipts, and then choose the related link.
- Open the posted receipt that you want to undo.
- Select the line or lines that you want to undo.
Choose Undo Receipt action.
A corrective line is inserted under the selected receipt line.
If the quantity was received in a warehouse receipt, then a corrective line is inserted in the posted warehouse receipt.
The Quantity Received and Qty. Rcd. Not Invoiced fields on the related purchase order are set to zero.
To undo and then redo a quantity posting on a posted return shipment
- Choose the icon, enter Posted Return Shipments, and then choose the related link.
- Open the posted return shipment that you want to undo.
Select the line or lines you want to undo.
Choose the Undo Return Shipment action.
A corrective line is inserted in the posted document, and the Return Qty. Shipped and Return Shpd. Not Invd. fields on the return order are set to zero.
Now go back to the purchase return order to redo the posting.
In the Posted Return Shipment window, take a note of the number in the Return Order No. field.
- Choose the icon, enter Purchase Return Orders, and then select the related link.
- Open the return order in question, and then choose the Reopen action.
- Correct the entry in the Quantity field and post the purchase return order again.