How to: Reverse Journal Posting

To undo an erroneous journal posting, you select the entry and create a reverse entry (entries identical to the original entry but with opposite sign in the amount field) with the same document number and posting date as the original entry. After reversing an entry, you must make the correct entry.

You can only reverse entries that are posted from a general journal line. An entry can only be reversed once.

For more information about posting from a general journal, see How to: Post Transactions Directly to the General Ledger.

You can reverse entries from all Ledger Entries windows. The following procedure is based on the General Ledger Entries window.

To reverse the journal posting of a general ledger entry

  1. Choose the Search for Page or Report icon, enter General Ledger Entries, and then choose the related link.
  2. Select the entry that you want to reverse, and then choose the Reverse Transaction action. Note that is must originate from a journal posting.
  3. In the Reverse Transaction Entries window, select the relevant entry, and then choose the Reverse action.
  4. Choose the Yes button on the confirmation message.

See Also

How to: Post Transactions Directly to the General Ledger
Working with General Journals
Working with Financials