Manage Job Supplies
Managing project supplies of items, services, and expenses is an integral and critical aspect of the execution of all jobs. You can use inventory quantities or make job-specific purchases using purchase orders or purchase invoices. For example, a service job on a computer requires a new disk. You create a purchase invoice to buy a new disk and record the job that it will be used on.
If the purchase process does not require that the physical transaction be recorded separately, then a purchase may be processed in the Job G/L Journal window. For more information, see Record Usage for Jobs.
To purchase items or services for a job
The following procedure shows how to use a purchase invoice to purchase products for a job. The same steps apply when using a purchase order.
- Choose the icon, enter Purchase Invoices, and then choose the related link.
- Choose the New action and fill in the fields as necessary. For more information, see Record Purchases.
In the Job No. and Job Task No. fields, select the information of the job that you want to purchase items or services for. Use the Choose Columns function if the field is not visible. For more information, see Personalising Your Workspace.
The value that you select in the Job Line Type field defines whether a planning line is created when you post the usage of the item. If the field contains Billable, then job planning lines that are ready to be invoiced to the customer are created. For more information, see Invoice Jobs.
- Choose the Post action.
To view the value of purchases for a job
- Choose the icon, enter Jobs, and then choose the related link.
Open a relevant job card.
On the Tasks FastTab, the Outstanding Orders field shows the total outstanding amount, in local currency, of inventory items and services on purchase documents for the job task line.
The Amt. Rec. Not Invoiced field shows the value of items delivered on purchase documents, but not yet invoiced.
- Choose either of the fields to open the Purchase Lines window where you can review information about the related purchase document lines, including which items or services have been received.
To post a job-related expense
If you incur extraordinary or one-time job expenses, you can use the Job G/L Journal window to post them directly to the relevant job account.
- Choose the icon, enter Job G/L Journals, and then choose the related link.
- Create a new line and enter information about the expense, including information in the Job No. and Job Task No fields.
- When the journal is complete, choose the Post action.