How to: Make Offers
You create a sales quote to record your offer to a customer to sell certain products on certain delivery and payment terms. You can send the sales quote to the customer to communicate the offer. You can email the document as a PDF attachment. You can also have the email body prefilled with a summary of the quote. For more information, see How to: Send Documents by Email.
While you negotiate with the customer, you can change and resend the sales quote as much as needed. When the customer accepts the quote, you convert the sales quote to a sales invoice or a sales order in which you process the sale. For more information, see How to: Invoice Sales or How to: Sell Products.
You can fill customer fields on the sales quote in two ways depending on whether the customer is already registered. See steps 2 and 3 in the following procedure.
To create a sales quote
On the Home page, choose the Sales Quote action.
In the Customer field, enter the name of an existing customer.
Other fields in the Sales Quote window contain standard information of the selected customer. If the customer is not registered, follow these steps:
- In the Customer field, enter the name of the new customer.
- In the dialogue box about registering the new customer, choose the Yes button.
- In the Select a template for a new customer window, choose a template to base the new customer card on, and then choose the OK button.
- A new customer card displays the information on the selected customer template. Fill in the remaining fields. For more information, see How to: Register New Customers.
When you have completed the customer card, choose the OK button to return to the Sales Quote window.
Several fields on the sales quote are now filled with information that you specified on the new customer card.
- Fill in the remaining fields in the Sales Quote window as necessary. Choose a field to read a short description of the field or link to more information.
You are now ready to fill in the sales order lines for products that you are selling to the customer or for any transaction with the customer that you want to record in a G/L account.
If you have set up recurring sales lines for the customer, such as a monthly replenishment order, then you can insert these lines on the order by choosing the Get Recurring Sales Lines action.
- On the Lines FastTab, in the Type field, select what type of product, charge, or transaction that you will post for the customer with the sales line.
In the No. field, select a record to post according to the value in the Type field.
You leave the No. field empty in the following cases: -If the line is for a comment. Write the comment in the Description field. -If the line is for a nonstock item. Choose the Select Nonstock Items action. For more information, see How to: Work With Nonstock Items.
In the Quantity field, enter how many units of the product, charge, or transaction that the line will record for the customer.
If the item is of type Item - Service or Resource, the quantity is a time unit, such as hours, as indicated in the Unit of Measure Code field on the line.
The value in the Line Amount field is calculated as Unit Price x Quantity.
The price and line amounts are with or without sales tax, depending on what you selected in the Prices Including Tax field on the customer card.
If you want to give a discount, enter a percentage in the Line Discount % field. The value in the Line Amount field updates accordingly.
If special item prices are set up on the Sales Prices and Sales Line Discounts FastTab on the customer or item card, the price and amount on the sales line automatically update if the price criteria is met. For more information, see Record Sales Price, Discount, and Payment Agreements.
Repeat steps 9 through 12 for every product you want to offer the customer.
The totals under the lines are automatically calculated as you create or modify lines.
In the Invoice Discount Amount field, enter an amount that should be deducted from the value shown in the Total Incl. Tax field.
If you have set up invoice discounts for the customer, then the specified percentage value is automatically inserted in the Invoice Discount % field if the criteria are met, and the related amount is inserted in the Inv. Discount Amount Excl. Tax field. For more information, see Record Sales Price, Discount, and Payment Agreements.
- When the sales quote lines are completed, choose the Send by Email action.
- In the Send Email window, fill in any remaining fields and review the embedded sales quote. For more information, see How to: Send Documents by Email.
- If the customer accepts the quote, choose the Make Invoice or the Make Order action.
The sales quote is removed from the database. A sales invoice or a sales order is created based on the information in the sales quote in which you can process the sale. In the Quote No. field on the sales invoice or sales order, you can see the number of the sales quote that it was made from. For more information, see How to: Invoice Sales or How to: Sell Products.