If a customer wants to return or be reimbursed for items or services that you have sold and received payment for, you must create and post a sales CR/Adj note that specifies the requested change. To include the correct sales invoice information, you can create the sales CR/Adj note from the posted sales invoice, or use a copy function.
If a posted sales invoice has not yet been paid, then you can use the Correct or Cancel functions on the posted sales invoice to reverse transactions. These functions work only for unpaid invoices, and they do not support partial returns or cancellations. For more information, see How to: Correct or Cancel Unpaid Sales Invoices.
In addition to the original posted sales invoice, you can apply the sales CR/Adj note to other sales documents, for example another posted sales invoice, because the customer is also returning items delivered with that invoice.
A return or reimbursement may relate to only some of the items or services on the original sales invoice. In that case, you must edit information on the lines on the sales CR/Adj note. When you post the sales CR/Adj note, the sales documents that are affected by the change are reversed and a refund payment can be created for the customer.
You can send the posted sales CR/Adj note to the customer to confirm the return or cancellation and communicate that the related value will be reimbursed, for example when the items are returned.
The CR/Adj Note posting will also revert any item charges that were assigned to the posted document, so that the item’s value entries are the same as before the item charge was assigned.
To create a sales CR/Adj note from a posted sales invoice
- Choose the icon, enter Posted Sales Invoices, and the choose the related link.
In the Posted Sales Invoices window, select the posted sales invoice that you want to reverse, and then choose the Create Corrective CR/Adj Note action.
The sales CR/Adj note header contains some information from the posted sales invoice. You can edit this, for example, with new information that reflects the return agreement.
- Edit information on the lines according to the agreement, such as the number of returned items or the amount to reimburse.
- Choose the Apply Entries action.
In the Apply Customer Entries window, select the line with the posted sales document that you want to apply the sales CR/Adj note to, and then choose the Applies-to ID action.
The identifier of the sales credit memo displays in the Applies-to ID field.
In the Amount to Apply field, enter the amount that you want to apply if it's smaller than the original amount.
At the bottom of the Apply Customer Entries window, you can see the total amount to apply to reverse all involved entries, namely when the value in the Balance field is zero.
Choose the OK button. When you post the sales CR/Adj note, it is applied to the posted sales documents.
After you create or edit sales CR/Adj note lines, and the single or multiple applications are specified, you can post the sales CR/Adj note.
- Choose the Post and Send action.
The Post and Send Confirmation dialogue box opens showing the preferred sending method for the customer. You can change the sending method by choosing the lookup button for the Send Document to field. For more information, see How to: Set Up Document Sending Profiles.
The posted sales documents that you applied the CR/Adj note to are now reversed, and a refund payment can be created for the customer. The sales CR/Adj note is removed and replaced with a new document in the list of posted sales CR/Adj notes.
To create a sales CR/Adj note from scratch
- Choose the icon, enter Sales Credit Memos, and then choose the related link.
- Choose the New action to open a new empty sales CR/Adj note.
- In the Customer field, enter the name of an existing customer.
- Choose the Copy Document action.
- In the Copy Sales Document window, in the Document Type field, select Posted Invoice.
- Choose the Document No. field to open the Posted Sales Invoices window, and then select the posted sales invoice that contains lines that you want to reverse.
- Select the Recalculate Lines check box if you want the copied posted sales invoice lines to be updated with any changes in item price and unit cost since the invoice was posted.
- Choose the OK button. The copied invoice lines are inserted in the sales CR/Adj note.
- Complete the sales CR/Adj note as explained in the "To create a sales CR/Adj note from a posted sales invoice" section in this topic.