On-premises users can't access cloud archive mailboxes with Full Access permission in Outlook
Original KB number: 4486479
Consider the following scenario:
- In a Microsoft Exchange Server hybrid environment, the primary mailboxes for User A and User B are hosted on-premises, and the archive mailboxes for both users are hosted in Exchange Online.
- User A has delegated, Full Access permission to User B's mailboxes.
- User A adds User B as an additional account in the Microsoft Outlook client.
In this scenario, User A can access User B's primary mailbox in Outlook, but User A cannot see or access User B's archive mailbox.
The issue occurs because the automapping feature doesn't work correctly in the scenario that is described in the Symptoms section. This is a limitation of the feature.
Workarounds - Method 1
Use Outlook Web App (Outlook Web App) to access the delegated archive mailbox. To add the mailbox to Outlook Web App, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your mailbox by using Outlook Web App.
- Right-click your name in the folder list, and then select Add shared folder.
- In the Add shared folder dialog box, type the name of the mailbox that you have been provided access to, and then select Add.
The primary mailbox and archive mailbox appear in Outlook in the web folder list.
Workarounds - Method 2
Create a new Outlook profile for the User B account. To create a profile, follow these steps:
- In Outlook, select File > Account Settings > Manage Profiles.
- Select Show Profiles > Add.
- In the Profile Name box, type a name for the profile, and then select OK.