Find and view dashboards and reports
Congratulations. You are the new sales manager at a clothing manufacturing company named Van Arsdel. Your first assignment is to view your sales and marketing dashboard and reports.
Add the Sales and Marketing Sample app
To add an app, you will need Power BI Pro. You can try Power BI Pro free for 60 days at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/get-started/
Sign in to http://app.powerbi.com.
Select the Apps tab on the left.
Select the Get apps button.
Select “Find more apps and consulting services at AppSource” link at the bottom of the menu.
Search for Sales and Marketing sample.
Select the “Get it now” link and wait for the app to install.
From the Get started with your new app screen, select the Explore App button. The app dashboard opens.
Open and view the dashboard and report
View the Marketing and Sales app dashboard.
Select one of the column chart or line chart tiles to open the associated detailed report.
To return to the dashboard, select the back arrow in your browser.
Create an alert
- From the Marketing and sales app dashboard, mouse over the Total Category Volume tile (the upper left corner of the canvas), and select the “…” (ellipses).
- Select Manage alerts.
- Select + Add alert rule.
- Scroll down to the Threshold field and type in 49000.
- Select the checkbox for At most every 24 hours.
- Select the checkbox for Send me email, too.
- Select the Save and close.
Since total category volume is already above 49,000, you will receive an email within 24 hours.
Add a comment on your dashboard
- Mouse over the Total Units tile (top right), select the “…” (ellipsis), and then select Add a comment.
- Add a comment to the visual tile like, “Will we include the Winter segment here?”
- Select the Post and then Close.
- Next to the Total Units title, select the conversation icon that just appeared to see your comment.
Report and accessibility display options
Reports are viewed on many different devices, with varying screen sizes and aspects. The View menu has many options that control how your report page displays. Select the option that works best for your screen size, your audience, or your personal preference. Try the following:
Select the Total Units tile to open the associated report.
From the upper menubar, select View.
The first three options control the display of your report. Select each of the three options to learn how they work.
- To display your report page at the largest size possible without resorting to scrollbars, select Fit to page.
- To fill the entire width of the available space. Select the Fit to width.
- To view the report at the best resolution (and if you don’t mind the possibility of double scrollbars), select Actual size.
There are several accessibility settings available from the View menu. These setting make reports easier to consume by people with color blindness or other sight challenges. From the View menu, select High contrast colors and choose one of the options.