Using Dynamics 365 Business Central as Power BI Data Source for Building Reports
You can make your Dynamics 365 Business Central data available as a data source in Power BI and build powerful reports of the state of your business.
You must have a valid account with Dynamics 365 Business Central and with Power BI. Also, you must download Power BI Desktop.
To add Dynamics 365 Business Central as a data source in Power BI Desktop
- In Power BI Desktop, in the left navigation pane, choose Get Data.
- On the Get Data page, choose Online Services, choose Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, and then choose the Connect button.
- Power BI displays a wizard that will guide you through the connection process. You will be prompted to sign into the service. Select Sign in and choose the account you would like to sign in as. This should be the same account you sign into Dynamics 365 Business Central with.
- Choose the Connect button to continue. The Power BI wizard shows a list of Microsoft Business Central companies and data sources. These data source represent all the web services that you have published from each company in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central.
- Alternatively, create a new web service URL in Dynamics 365 Business Central by using the Create Data Set action on the Web Services page, using the Set Up Reporting Assisted Setup guide, or by choosing the Edit in Excel action in any lists.
- Specify the data you want to add to your data model, and then choose the Load button.
- Repeat the previous steps to add additional Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, or other data, to your Power BI data model.
Once you have successfully connected to Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, you will not be prompted again to sign in.
Once the data is loaded it will appear in the right navigation on the page. At this point, you have successfully connected to your Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central data and are ready to begin building your Power BI report.
Before building your report, we recommend that you import the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central theme file. The theme file will create a colour palette so that you can build reports with the same colour styling as the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central content packs without requiring you to define custom colours for each visual.
For more information, see the Power BI documentation.