Enable mobile app authentication with Azure Multi-Factor Authentication Server
The Microsoft Authenticator app offers an additional out-of-band verification option. Instead of placing an automated phone call or SMS to the user during login, Azure Multi-Factor Authentication pushes a notification to the Microsoft Authenticator app on the user's smartphone or tablet. The user simply taps Verify (or enters a PIN and taps "Authenticate") in the app to complete their sign-in.
Using a mobile app for two-step verification is preferred when phone reception is unreliable. If you use the app as an OATH token generator, it doesn't require any network or internet connection.
As of July 1, 2019, Microsoft no longer offers MFA Server for new deployments. New customers that want to require multi-factor authentication (MFA) during sign-in events should use cloud-based Azure AD Multi-Factor Authentication.
To get started with cloud-based MFA, see Tutorial: Secure user sign-in events with Azure AD Multi-Factor Authentication.
Existing customers that activated MFA Server before July 1, 2019 can download the latest version, future updates, and generate activation credentials as usual.
If you have installed Azure Multi-Factor Authentication Server v8.x or higher, most of the steps below are not required. Mobile app authentication can be set up by following the steps under Configure the mobile app.
To use the Microsoft Authenticator app, you must be running Azure Multi-Factor Authentication Server v8.x or higher
Configure the mobile app settings in the Azure Multi-Factor Authentication Server
- In the Multi-Factor Authentication Server console, click the User Portal icon. If users are allowed to control their authentication methods, check Mobile App on the Settings tab, under Allow users to select method. Without this feature enabled, end users are required to contact your Help Desk to complete activation for the Mobile App.
- Check the Allow users to activate Mobile App box.
- Check the Allow User Enrollment box.
- Click the Mobile App icon.
- Populate the Account name field with the company or organization name to display in the mobile application for this account.