Applications hosted in Azure App Service can achieve massive scale. However, scaling an application is a complex problem that does not have a "one size fits all" solution. To correctly scale your application there are 3 key areas that will contribute to your applications success:
- Understanding your application architecture and its weaknesses.
- Is your Application Stateful? Stateless?
- What are all the components of your application?
- Where are the bottlenecks in the application?
- When load is applied to your app, what will break first?
- Understanding the expected load and performance requirements.
- Does the application need to serve one thousand users? or one million?
- Will traffic come from a single geographic location or globally?
- Are there seasonal variations? traffic peaks?
- How fast should the app respond? 1 second? 1 millisecond?
- Understanding and correctly leverage the platform hosting your app.
- What features should I leverage to achieve my scale goals?
This section will help you understand all the factors and help you devise a strategy that takes advantage of the necessary App Service features to achieve your scalability goals.
- Understanding Redundancy and Reliability
- StateFULL vs StateLESS applications
- Load Testing apps in App Service
App Service scaling best practices
- Port exhaustion and connection pooling
- Leveraging Azure Storage from your App Service app
- Leveraging Azure CDN from your App Service app
- Leveraging Azure Redis Cache from your App Service app