This example shows how to establish a dev/test environment for SAP NetWeaver in a Windows or Linux environment on Azure. The database used is AnyDB, the SAP term for any supported DBMS (that isn't SAP HANA). Because this architecture is designed for non-production environments, it's deployed with only one virtual machine (VM), and the virtual machine size can be changed to accommodate your organization's needs.
For production use cases review the SAP reference architectures available below:
Relevant use cases
Other relevant use cases include:
- Noncritical SAP nonproduction workloads (such sandbox, development, test, and quality assurance).
- Noncritical SAP business workloads.
This scenario demonstrates provisioning a single SAP system database and SAP application server on a single virtual machine. The data flows through the scenario as follows:
- Customers use the SAP user interface or other client tools (Excel, a web browser, or other web application) to access the Azure-based SAP system.
- Connectivity is provided through the use of an established ExpressRoute. The ExpressRoute connection is terminated in Azure at the ExpressRoute gateway. Network traffic routes through the ExpressRoute gateway to the gateway subnet, and from the gateway subnet to the application-tier spoke subnet (see the hub-spoke network topology) and via a Network Security Gateway to the SAP application virtual machine.
- The identity management servers provide authentication services.
- The jump box provides local management capabilities.
- Virtual networks are the basis of network communication within Azure.
- Azure Virtual Machines provide on-demand, high-scale, secure, virtualized infrastructure using Windows or Linux servers.
- ExpressRoute extends your on-premises networks into the Microsoft cloud over a private connection facilitated by a connectivity provider.
- Network security groups limit network traffic to specific resources in a virtual network. A network security group contains a list of security rules that allow or deny inbound or outbound network traffic based on source or destination IP address, port, and protocol.
- Resource groups act as logical containers for Azure resources.
Microsoft offers a service level agreement (SLA) for single VM instances. For more information on Microsoft Azure Service Level Agreement for Virtual Machines SLA For Virtual Machines
For general guidance on designing scalable solutions, see the performance efficiency checklist in the Azure Architecture Center.
For general guidance on designing secure solutions, see the Azure Security Documentation.
For general guidance on designing resilient solutions, see Designing resilient applications for Azure.
To help you explore the cost of running this scenario, all of the services are pre-configured in the cost calculator examples below. To see how the pricing would change for your particular use case, change the appropriate variables to match your expected traffic.
We have provided four sample cost profiles based on amount of traffic you expect to receive:
|Size||SAPs||VM Type||Storage||Azure Pricing Calculator|
|Extra Large||64000||M64s||4xP20, 1xP10||Extra Large|
This pricing is a guide that only indicates the VMs and storage costs. It excludes networking, backup storage, and data ingress/egress charges.
- Small: A small system consists of VM type D8s_v3 with 8x vCPUs, 32-GB RAM, and 200 GB of temporary storage, along with two 512 GB and one 128-GB premium storage disk.
- Medium: A medium system consists of VM type D16s_v3 with 16x vCPUs, 64-GB RAM, and 400 GB of temporary storage, along with three 512-GB and one 128-GB premium storage disk.
- Large: A large system consists of VM type E32s_v3 with 32x vCPUs, 256-GB RAM, and 512-GB of temporary storage, along with three 512-GB and one 128-GB premium storage disk.
- Extra Large: An extra-large system consists of a VM type M64s with 64x vCPUs, 1024-GB RAM, and 2000 GB of temporary storage, along with four 512-GB and one 128-GB premium storage disk.
Click the link below to deploy the solution.
SAP and Oracle are not installed during this deployment. You will need to deploy these components separately.