Azure Monitor for containers overview
Azure Monitor for containers is a feature designed to monitor the performance of container workloads deployed to either Azure Container Instances or managed Kubernetes clusters hosted on Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS). Monitoring your containers is critical, especially when you're running a production cluster, at scale, with multiple applications.
Azure Monitor for containers gives you performance visibility by collecting memory and processor metrics from controllers, nodes, and containers that are available in Kubernetes through the Metrics API. Container logs are also collected. After you enable monitoring from Kubernetes clusters, metrics and logs are automatically collected for you through a containerized version of the Log Analytics agent for Linux. Metrics are written to the metrics store and log data is written to the logs store associated with your Log Analytics workspace.
What does Azure Monitor for containers provide?
Azure Monitor for containers delivers a comprehensive monitoring experience using different features of Azure Monitor enabling you to understand the performance and health of your Kubernetes cluster and the container workloads. With Azure Monitor for containers you can:
- Identify AKS containers that are running on the node and their average processor and memory utilization. This knowledge can help you identify resource bottlenecks.
- Identify processor and memory utilization of container groups and their containers hosted in Azure Container Instances.
- Identify where the container resides in a controller or a pod. This knowledge can help you view the controller's or pod's overall performance.
- Review the resource utilization of workloads running on the host that are unrelated to the standard processes that support the pod.
- Understand the behavior of the cluster under average and heaviest loads. This knowledge can help you identify capacity needs and determine the maximum load that the cluster can sustain.
- Configure alerts to proactively notify you or record it when CPU and memory utilization on nodes or containers exceed your thresholds.
- Integrate with Prometheus to view application and workload metrics it collects from nodes and Kubernetes using queries to create custom alerts, dashboards, and detailed perform detailed analysis.
Support for Prometheus is a feature in public preview at this time.
How do I access this feature?
You can access Azure Monitor for containers two ways, from Azure Monitor or directly from the selected AKS cluster. From Azure Monitor, you have a global perspective of all the containers deployed, which are monitored and which are not, allowing you to search and filter across your subscriptions and resource groups, and then drill into Azure Monitor for containers from the selected container. Otherwise, you can access the feature directly from a selected AKS container from the AKS page.
If you are interested in monitoring and managing your Docker and Windows container hosts to view configuration, audit, and resource utilization, see the Container Monitoring solution.
To begin monitoring your AKS cluster, review How to enable the Azure Monitor for containers to understand the requirements and available methods to enable monitoring.