Reverse Journal Postings and Undo Receipts/Shipments
Reverse journal postings are not only used for correcting errors but they can also be used for clearing out an old accruals entry before entering a new one, for example. You select the entry and create a reverse entry (entries identical to the original entry but with opposite sign in the amount field) with the same document number and posting date as the original entry. After reversing an entry, you must make the correct entry.
You can only reverse entries that are posted from a general journal line. An entry can only be reversed once.
To undo a receipt or shipment posting, before they are posted as invoiced, you can use the Undo function on the posted document. You can undo quantities of type Item and Resource.
If you have made an incorrect negative quantity posting, such as a purchase order with the wrong number of items, and posted it as received but not invoiced, then you can undo the posting.
If you have made an incorrect positive quantity posting, such as a sales shipment or a purchase return shipment with the wrong number of items, and posted it as shipped but not invoiced, then you can undo the posting.
To reverse the journal posting of a general ledger entry
You can reverse entries from all Ledger Entries pages. The following procedure is based on the General Ledger Entries page.
- Choose the icon, enter General Ledger Entries, and then choose the related link.
- Select the entry that you want to reverse, and then choose the Reverse Transaction action. Note that is must originate from a journal posting.
- On the Reverse Transaction Entries page, choose the Reverse action.
- Choose the Yes button on the confirmation message.
You cannot reverse entries that have been posted with information from a job, or which have realised gains and losses within the same transaction.
To post a negative entry
You can use the Correction field to post a negative debit instead of a credit, or to post a negative credit instead of a debit on an account. To meet legal requirements, this field is visible by default in all journals. The Debit Amount and Credit Amount fields include both the original entry, and the corrected entry. These fields have no effect on the account balance.
- Choose the icon, enter General Journals, and then choose the related link
- In the Batch Name field, select the required batch name.
- Enter information into the relevant fields.
- In the journal line that you want to activate for negative entries, select the Correction check box.
- To post the journal, choose the Post action, and then choose the Yes button.
To undo a quantity posting on a posted purchase receipt
The following described how to undo a posted receipt of items or resources. The steps are similar for posted shipments.
- Choose the icon, enter Posted Purchase Receipts, and then choose the related link.
- Open the posted receipt that you want to undo.
- Select the line or lines that you want to undo.
- Choose Undo Receipt action.
A corrective line is inserted under the selected receipt line. If the quantity was received in a warehouse receipt, then a corrective line is inserted on the posted warehouse receipt.
The Quantity Received and Qty. Rcd. Not Invoiced fields on the related purchase order are set to zero.
To undo and then redo a quantity posting on a posted return shipment
The following describes how to undo a posted return shipment of items or resources and then repost the purchase return with a new quantity. The steps are similar for posted return receipts.
Choose the icon, enter Posted Return Shipments, and then choose the related link.
Open the posted return shipment that you want to undo.
Select the line or lines you want to undo.
Choose the Undo Return Shipment action.
A corrective line is inserted in the posted document, and the Return Qty. Shipped and Return Shpd. Not Invd. fields on the return order are set to zero.
Now go back to the purchase return order to redo the posting.
On the Posted Return Shipment page, take a note of the number in the Return Order No. field.
Choose the icon, enter Purchase Return Orders, and then select the related link.
Open the return order in question, and then choose the Reopen action.
Correct the entry in the Quantity field and post the purchase return order again.