Lifecycle FAQ - Office, Office 365, and Microsoft 365
Originally published: July 18, 2016
Updated: April 21, 2020
Please go here to search for your product's lifecycle.
What is the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy for Microsoft 365 and Office products?
The Office 365 and Microsoft 365 suite of services, along with Microsoft 365 Apps, is governed by the Modern Lifecycle Policy.
On April 21, 2020, we adopted "Microsoft 365 Apps" for our two Office client subscription products:
- Office 365 ProPlus will become Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise
- Office 365 Business will become Microsoft 365 Apps for business
Also, on that date, we changed the names of our Office 365 small and medium business offerings and many of our consumer offerings:
- Office 365 Business Essentials will become Microsoft 365 Business Basic
- Office 365 Business Premium will become Microsoft 365 Business Standard
- Microsoft 365 Business will become Microsoft 365 Business Premium
- Office 365 Home will become Microsoft 365 Family
- Office 365 Personal will become Microsoft 365 Personal
- Office 365 Solo will become Microsoft 365 Personal
- Office 365 Services will become Microsoft 365 Personal
- Office 365 University will become Microsoft 365 Personal
- Office 365 Home (for military) will become Microsoft 365 Family
There are no naming changes for Office 365 Enterprise, Government, and Education editions and Microsoft 365 Enterprise, Government, and Education editions.
Other Office on-premises products are governed by the Fixed Lifecycle Policy. Search for a specific Office product to see its corresponding Lifecycle Policy and end-of-support dates.
For Office 2019, Microsoft will provide 5 years of mainstream support with 2 years of extended support as an exception to the 10-year Fixed-Lifecycle Policy term. This 7-year term will align with the support period for Office 2016.
What is the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy for Office for Mac?
Microsoft Office for Mac products (all editions) are governed by the Fixed Policy and offer 5 years of Mainstream Support.