Windows Subsystem for Linux Documentation
The Windows Subsystem for Linux lets developers run a GNU/Linux environment -- including most command-line tools, utilities, and applications -- directly on Windows, unmodified, without the overhead of a traditional virtual machine or dualboot setup.
Learn more here
- What is the Windows Subsystem for Linux?
- What's new with WSL 2?
- Compare WSL 2 and WSL 1
- Read frequently asked questions
- Install WSL1
- Update to WSL2
- Install Linux on Windows Server
- Create a user account and password for your new Linux distribution
- Overview post with a collection of videos and blogs
- Command-Line blog (Active)
- Windows Subsystem for Linux Blog (Historical)
Posts and articles
- Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
- Developers Can Run Bash And Usermode Ubuntu Linux Binaries On Windows 10
- Ubuntu on Windows – The Ubuntu Userspace for Windows Developers