Sizes for Windows virtual machines in Azure
This article describes the available sizes and options for the Azure virtual machines you can use to run your Windows apps and workloads. It also provides deployment considerations to be aware of when you're planning to use these resources. This article applies to both Windows and Linux VMs.
|General purpose||B, Dsv3, Dv3, Dasv4, Dav4, DSv2, Dv2, Av2, DC, DCv2, Dv4, Dsv4, Ddv4, Ddsv4||Balanced CPU-to-memory ratio. Ideal for testing and development, small to medium databases, and low to medium traffic web servers.|
|Compute optimized||Fsv2||High CPU-to-memory ratio. Good for medium traffic web servers, network appliances, batch processes, and application servers.|
|Memory optimized||Esv3, Ev3, Easv4, Eav4, Ev4, Esv4, Edv4, Edsv4, Mv2, M, DSv2, Dv2||High memory-to-CPU ratio. Great for relational database servers, medium to large caches, and in-memory analytics.|
|Storage optimized||Lsv2||High disk throughput and IO ideal for Big Data, SQL, NoSQL databases, data warehousing and large transactional databases.|
|GPU||NC, NCv2, NCv3, ND, NDv2 (Preview), NV, NVv3, NVv4||Specialized virtual machines targeted for heavy graphic rendering and video editing, as well as model training and inferencing (ND) with deep learning. Available with single or multiple GPUs.|
|High performance compute||HB, HBv2, HC, H||Our fastest and most powerful CPU virtual machines with optional high-throughput network interfaces (RDMA).|
- For information about pricing of the various sizes, see Virtual Machines Pricing.
- To see general limits on Azure VMs, see Azure subscription and service limits, quotas, and constraints.
- Storage costs are calculated separately based on used pages in the storage account. For details, Azure Storage Pricing.
- Learn more about how Azure compute units (ACU) can help you compare compute performance across Azure SKUs.
For information on using the REST API to query for VM sizes, see the following:
- List available virtual machine sizes for resizing
- List available virtual machine sizes for a subscription
- List available virtual machine sizes in an availability set
Learn more about how Azure compute units (ACU) can help you compare compute performance across Azure SKUs.
Learn more about compute performance for Windows VMs using the CoreMark benchmark scores.
Azure services cost money. Azure Cost Management helps you set budgets and configure alerts to keep spending under control. Analyze, manage, and optimize your Azure costs with Cost Management. To learn more, see the quickstart on analyzing your costs.
Learn more about the different VM sizes that are available: