Failed to schedule Software Protection service for restart error in Windows Server 2012
This article provides a solution to an error that occurs when the Network Service account doesn't have permissions to the
Original product version: Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2012 R2
Original KB number: 3033200
You may frequently receive the following event in the Application log for the Software Protection service:
The issue may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:
- The Task Scheduler service is disabled.
- The Software Protection Platform service isn't running under the NETWORK SERVICE account.
- Read permissions for the NETWORK SERVICE account are missing on the following folder:
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Verify that the Task Scheduler service is running.
- Open the Computer Management tool, and then navigate to Configuration -> Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> SoftwareProtectionPlatform.
- On the General tab of SoftwareProtectionPlatform, select the security options, and then verify that the Software Protection Platform service is set to use the NETWORK SERVICE account.
- In Windows Explorer, browse to the
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatformfolder, and then verify that the NETWORK SERVICE account has Read permissions for that folder.
- Restart the Software Protection service if it's running.