Guide to Office Telemetry Dashboard resources
Applies to: Office 365 ProPlus, Office 2019, and Office 2016
The following table describes resources that are available to IT Professionals who are assessing Office compatibility by using the Office Telemetry Dashboard.
||Read Assess Office compatibility to learn about the 4 key phases in the compatibility process.
Thinking about deploying the 64-bit version of Office? Be sure to carefully review Choose between the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office before you decide.
|Deploy and configure Office Telemetry Dashboard
||Before you can start to collect Office inventory, usage, and health data, you must Deploy Office Telemetry Dashboard. Be sure to review our topology and hardware guidance before you roll out the components. If you're setting up a small or test environment, we have a script that will quickly set up Office Telemetry Dashboard on a single computer. You can deploy agents by using your preferred deployment method. This can include deploying agents by using System Center Configuration Manager.
You'll need to update the Office Telemetry Dashboard components if you're moving from an Office 2013 installation of Office Telemetry Dashboard.
Having trouble getting data into the dashboard? You can troubleshoot Office Telemetry Dashboard deployments.
If you are concerned about maintaining user privacy for the data that is collected, you can manage privacy settings and see the list of data that is collected. If, for any reason, you must delete the local data on a client computer, you can do that, too.
To manage the database, download the Telemetry Dashboard Administration Tool (Tdadm). You can use this tool to clean up unused user, solution, and computer data, or to copy or move data to another database. Visit the Tdadm wiki for usage information.
- Office Telemetry Dashboard is an on-premises tool that collects inventory, usage, and health data about the Office documents and solutions, such as add-ins, used in your organization. The data is primarily designed to help your organization with application compatibility testing.
- Data collected for Office Telemetry Dashboard is stored in a SQL Server database controlled by your organization and is not sent to Microsoft. For more information, see Data collected by the agent for Office Telemetry Dashboard.
- Data collected for Office Telemetry Dashboard is different than Office diagnostic data, which can be sent to Microsoft. For more information about Office diagnostic data, see Overview of privacy controls for Office 365 ProPlus.
- Settings used to manage Office Telemetry Dashboard have no impact on Office diagnostic data and vice versa. For more information about managing Office diagnostic data, see Use policy settings to manage privacy controls for Office 365 ProPlus.
|Use Office Telemetry Dashboard
||This video about Office Telemetry Dashboard navigation will help you start Office Telemetry Dashboard, connect to the database, and view the data collected. You can then use Office Telemetry Dashboard to monitor Office stability and deployment status. You can also use Office Telemetry Dashboard to manage add-ins in Office. If you aren't sure what the data in a worksheet means, take a look at our reference guide, which describes each worksheet. Want to customize how data is displayed in the dashboard? No problem! Creating custom reports in Office Telemetry Dashboard is easy. Watch this video to see custom reporting in action.
(Although these videos are for an earlier version of Office, the information also applies to newer versions of Office.)
Is your dashboard empty? The agents can require to 4 hours to start transmitting data. You can speed up this process by triggering data collection manually. You might also want to troubleshoot Office Telemetry Dashboard deployments.
|Troubleshoot Office documents and custom solutions
||Ready to troubleshoot issues with Office documents and custom solutions? You'll want to use Office Telemetry Log to do this troubleshooting. The log displays compatibility issues for Word, Excel, and Outlook. To see how the log works, you can download sample Office documents that trigger compatibility events in the log.
||Here are links to tables and other types of reference information.
File formats and extensions
- File format reference for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- XML file name extension reference for Office
Office Telemetry Dashboard, agent, and other components
- Office Telemetry Dashboard worksheet reference
- Registry settings and Group Policy settings for the agent
- Data that the agent collects
- Custom reporting and database schema reference for Office Telemetry Dashboard
- Document and solution types monitored by Office Telemetry Dashboard
Office Telemetry Log
- Types of Office files and solutions tracked in Office Telemetry Log
- Types of events displayed in Office Telemetry Log
Compatibility issues in Office Telemetry Log
- Removed and deprecated members in the object model
- Behavior changes in the object model
- Hidden members in the object model
||Here are the scripts that can be used with Office Telemetry Dashboard:
- Set up Office Telemetry Dashboard on a single computer This script automates all required configurations and provides an quick and easy setup of Office Telemetry Dashboard.
- Create Group Policy Object for tags (labels) for Telemetry Dashboard Create-GroupPolicyObjectForTags.ps1 can be used for bulk Group Policy Object (GPO) generation to configure tags (labels) for Office Telemetry Dashboard. The script creates GPOs that are linked to a specified domain, site, or OU with or without security filtering by security groups.
- Add tags (labels) for Telemetry Dashboard Add-Tags.vbs can be used to set tags (labels) for Office Telemetry Dashboard. The script retrieves properties of a user object from Active Directory and writes registry values for labels, which Office Telemetry Dashboard can use to filter data. The script was written for Office 2013 but you can modify it to work with newer versions of Office.
||Here are the downloads that are related to Office compatibility:
- Telemetry Dashboard Administration Tool download and wiki
- Sample Office documents that trigger compatibility events in Office Telemetry Log
- Visio 2016 Viewer
- Administrative Template files (ADMX/ADML) for Group Policy
- Telemetry in Office 2013: A new way to assess Office compatibility (poster*)
* Although the poster is for an earlier version of Office, the information also applies to newer versions of Office.
||Watch videos that are related to Office compatibility:
- Quick tips for Office Telemetry Dashboard navigation
- Creating custom reports in Office Telemetry Dashboard
Although these videos are for an earlier version of Office, the information also applies to newer versions of Office.