Microsoft Project Online Feature Details
- Core functionality
- Project planning, management, and publishing
- Task and resource management
- Portfolios, reporting and business intelligence
The following core functionality features are available in Project Online.
- Add columns
- Backstage: Select File to use features in the Backstage, where you can manage your project files and the data about them. Use the Backstage for everything that you do to a project file that you don't do in the file—creating, saving, inspecting for hidden metadata or personal information, and setting options.
- Click-to-Run: Install Project Online over the internet, internal networks, local file systems, or from offline media.
- Contextual right-click menus: Right-click any item in a project view (such as a column title) to get instant access to what you can do with that item.
- Custom fields: In addition to the fields that are included with Project, you can also use custom fields to meet your organizational needs.
- Enhanced copy and paste across Microsoft Office applications: Collaborate on schedule development by copying and pasting schedule details between Office applications, such as Word.
- Gantt chart, calendar, and task sheet views: Present project information graphically using Gantt chart, Network Diagram, graph, sheet, usage, and form views.
- User interface, the ribbon: Increase productivity with the ribbon, a tab interface that you can use to quickly find and use Project features and controls.
- Multiple-level undo: You can undo multiple changes at the same time by using the Undo menu.
- Network Diagram view: View tasks, dependencies, and the critical path of your project in a Network Diagram view.
- Office store: Need an application to help you with Project? Find new applications for Project in the Office store. See Add-ins for Project.
- Online help: Project Help is available in Office.com or in Getting Started Guides directly in Project (select File > New). Watch these videos to make the switch to Project 2013.
- PDF and XPS output: Save a Project file as a PDF or XPS file.
- Placeholder text in Project fields: If you're not sure of all the details for a project, you can use placeholder text, such as "TBD" for resources, start dates, end dates, and so on.
- Project templates: You can save lots of time creating a project by using a past project as a template.
- Start experience: Instead of dropping you into a blank project, Project 2013 presents a one-stop center for starting your project. You can use customer templates or a built-in guide to get you started in four easy steps.
- Text wrap: Wrap task or resource names so they flow on a second line.
- Timeline view: Build and customize the timeline view to visualize schedule details and communicate with stakeholders.
- Zoom controls: Use zoom controls on the status bar to quickly change the timeline perspective of your project schedules.
The following core services functionality features are available in Project Online.
- Active Directory integration: Active Directory provides a central location for administrators to manage user credentials and permissions. Active Directory integration with Project means that users and groups in Active Directory are synchronized in Project Online or Project Server 2013.
- Administration, deployment, and extensibility: Project Online and Project Server 2013 provide features for administrators to plan, install and configure, maintain and extend Project.
- Getting started: Getting started content is available for Project Online.
- Issues and risk management (for team members): Project Online and Project Server 2013 include features to prevent, identify, and mitigate potential business- or project-related risks and issues.
- Office 365 Trust Center: Your data is yours. We safeguard it, and protect your privacy.
- PPM Partner ecosystem: Microsoft PPM solutions are backed by hundreds of Microsoft partners who have earned their PPM competency and undergone relevant exams and numerous deployments in over 80 countries and regions worldwide. Go to a PPM partner in your region if you need help with assessment, envisioning, deployment, or training.
- Service reliability: We stand by our 99.9 percent uptime promise with an industry-leading financial guarantee for customers.
- Service updates: We regularly update Microsoft services with new features and capabilities.
- Team member collaboration: Team collaboration supports and drives overall project success and effectiveness. Project Server 2013 lets organizations collaborate on projects.
- Time and task management (for team members): Use a centralized and common approach to time reporting and task management. Capture work and nonworking time for payroll, invoicing, and other business purposes. Efficiently communicate status on projects, everyday work, and ad-hoc requests to gauge usage peaks and valleys or progress on tasks. This helps you anticipate the effect on planned effort, cost, and timeframe.
To view feature availability across plans, standalone options, and on-premises solutions, see Project Online service description.