While we have made excellent progress defining adaptive cards, there is still lots of work to do. Our hope is that through active developer communities like botness, and great partners like Slack and Kik, we can create a great ecosystem of cross-platform cards.
Here are some future areas we plan to explore:
Great looking Cards from Data
We know many card authors already have well-defined data behind their cards. Our plan is to explore a templating model that would allow cards to be generated (server side or client side) based on the data and a repository of well-defined and customizable templates.
Make cards responsive
Card layouts should be reactive to available space. Adaptive cards are adaptable to different devices, ux styles and and ui frameworks, but they are not reactive yet. Additional properties must be defined on elements which allow card producers to provide the necessary hints to the rendering libraries so that they can intelligently change the layout in a way which maintains the intent of the card.
- Add an importance property which annotates importance of content. Less important content can be dropped to fit available space
- Add constraints and policy properties describing how to react when constraints can't be met.
- Hide content or collapse content to smaller size.
- Add a threshold that, when exceeded, changes
columnSetto carousel of columns.
New element types
- Audio - playable audio in card with transport controls (In progress)
- Video - video player in card with transport controls (In progress)
- Maps - embed a map into a card with interactivity or fallback to bitmap
- What elements do you want or need?
New rendering libraries
- React Native (In progress)
- Xamarin (In progress)
- What frameworks do you want?