question

DataCapuchin-4039 avatar image
0 Votes"
DataCapuchin-4039 asked PRADEEPCHEEKATLA-MSFT commented

Valid Webhook for Data Factory suddenly stopped working

Dear experts,

I have a Data Factory (v1) pipeline, Runbook, Integration Runtime and Automation triggered from my client's site by a webhook that has been working well for three years. The webhook is in date. Yesterday morning the webhook stopped triggering or even registering at the Azure end when triggered from the Client. When triggered via the same webhook from outside of the client, the whole process works fine, moving data to and from the client successfully.

To me this means that the IR is working correctly but something either on the client's network or on Azure services is now preventing the comms to Azure from the client but not from our network.

The webook is triggered by a single line of Powershell 'Invoke-RestMethod -Method Post -Uri "https://s9events.azure-automation.net/webhooks?token=<token>;"'

I have checked TLS settings on Internet options and 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 are all ticked.

Your help in this is greatly appreciated and I am hoping that I am not the only person this has happened to.

Thanks and regards,

DC


I should have added that the error message received is

"The error information returned by PowerShell is: 'The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream."

Thanks again

DC

azure-data-factoryazure-automation
5 |1600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 3.0 MiB each and 30.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

DataCapuchin-4039 avatar image
2 Votes"
DataCapuchin-4039 answered PRADEEPCHEEKATLA-MSFT commented

Dear all,

I think many of you would have known exactly what the problem above was and were surprised that we were asking this. However, as a start up with a nascent but growing powershell/webhook knowledge, we struggled to find something that was clearly the solution so we thought we would post what we found. Eventually thanks to web searches and testing we found that adding the line below as the first line, the problem was resolved.

[System.Net.ServicePointManager]::SecurityProtocol = [System.Net.SecurityProtocolType]::Tls12;


It seems that the the Invoke-RestMethod always defaults to TLS 1.0 and that as of 08/12/2020 this is no longer supported by Azure Services. We were slightly disappointed that the communications we received from Microsoft about TLS changes did not make it obvious to us that Webhooks generated by Runbooks would be affected. We were also disappointed that the resolution specifically for Webhooks and Automation was not clearly signposted on the official documentation. We still love Azure, the community and what it has enabled us to achieve though.

Hopefully this post will help help some others

DC.

· 1
5 |1600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 3.0 MiB each and 30.0 MiB total.

Hi @DataCapuchin-4039,

Glad to know that your issue has resolved. And thanks for sharing the solution, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

0 Votes 0 ·