question

DennisBenz-3645 avatar image
0 Votes"
DennisBenz-3645 asked DennisBenz-3645 answered

Invalid Client Package after applying 2010 build with KB4594177 hotfix

The issue was first uncovered by errors during OSD deployments, failing with 80040104 on the Client Package ID:

73983-image.png


I tracked this down to content on the CAS, and subsequently all DPs containing invalid packages, inside cd.latest\smssetup\client\i386 and x64 folders containing files with 0 kb in size:

73949-image.png

Super frustrating. And then confirmed by finding these "WARNING: File hash mismatch for" under CMUpdate.log which didn't bother to flag any errors:

73966-image.png

Has anyone ever run into this type of issue before? Is there an easy way to force a redownload and a reapply of the update that would have contained this content?

mem-cm-generalmem-cm-site-deployment
image.png (26.3 KiB)
image.png (193.1 KiB)
image.png (113.3 KiB)
5 |1600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 3.0 MiB each and 30.0 MiB total.

DennisBenz-3645 avatar image
0 Votes"
DennisBenz-3645 answered

After playing around with boot images, and the client package with all sorts of options to redistribute/validate. I started looking at my task sequences because they also consumed the boot images, and because I got myself into a position where smspxe.log started to show "no advertisements found" error, I stumbled upon this article that dealt with a similar issue: https://www.lieben.nu/liebensraum/2014/05/unknown-computer-support-and-multiple-boot-images/

In the end, the resolution was to just delete my task sequence deployment to "All unknown computers" and deploy it again. Hopefully this helps someone else out there.

5 |1600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 3.0 MiB each and 30.0 MiB total.

DennisBenz-3645 avatar image
0 Votes"
DennisBenz-3645 answered

I just realized that it might be resolved by running the Update Reset Tool, although I have never done that on update that the system considers be already be installed successfully? Would it be safe to to run the tool as described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/core/servers/manage/update-reset-tool against the 2010 update? Would it be offered to be re-installed?

5 |1600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 3.0 MiB each and 30.0 MiB total.

AllenLiu-MSFT avatar image
0 Votes"
AllenLiu-MSFT answered DennisB-0093 commented

Hi, @DennisBenz-3645
Thank you for posting in Microsoft Q&A forum.
My cd.latest\smssetup\client\i386 and x64 folders also contains files with 0 kb, you may try the solution to see if it helps:

Run setupdl.exe in the bin\x64 file (of the SCCM install source directory), we can get non-zero versions of the 0 KB files we had in the Client install directory, then copy the non-zero KB files into the Client install directory, update Distribution points, and everything may work well.


If the response is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and upvote it.
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.


· 3
5 |1600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 10 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 3.0 MiB each and 30.0 MiB total.

Thanks @AllenLiu-MSFT - that got me on the right track. The setupdl.exe only downloaded a few files that were missing - like MMASetup-AMD64.exe for example. That gave me the idea to search for them on the drive (duh, I really should have done that earlier!). It looks like non-zero'd versions of those were also present in exiting locations like redist folder etc.

In addition, to cover things that might be zero'd outside of the client folder, I had performed this search and replaced affected files as well.

74442-image.png



However, I don't actually think this touches on the problems I'm facing within OSD. I just noticed that the Client Package is using Source folder under <site server>\SMS_EDM\Client share instead, which isn't linked to cd.latest\smssetup\client folders. So this may be a bit of a red herring in terms of troubleshooting my issue.

0 Votes 0 ·
image.png (68.1 KiB)

Thanks for the feedback.
I found a similar article about this issue, but it's related to driver package, we may try to see if it helps:
We may first run the sql query to see if the client package has value in NewHash and SourceSize:

 Select PkgID,Name,NewHash,SourceSize
 From SMSPackages 
 Where Name = 'Configuration Manager Client Package' 

If so, we may try to update the content on the client package.

Here is the details in the article:
https://systemcenterdudes.com/failed-resolve-selected-task-sequence-dependencies-0x80040104/
(Third-party link, just for your reference)

0 Votes 0 ·

Thanks @AllenLiu-MSFT . I actually did find that article as well and I don't have zero values for when I checked the package. And as he mentioned the workaround, I don't really have the same options with the Client Package because I'm not importing it manually like drivers.

74894-image.png

I was also able to reload the boot images that are used with OSD to make sure they have the updated client version:

74895-image.png

I have also found some articles about boundary groups etc, but we haven't touched those in a while and imaging is still being performed from the same subnet. We use AD sites for our boundaries, but I created and added an IP subnet range as well just to be sure its not boundary related.


0 Votes 0 ·
image.png (5.7 KiB)
image.png (12.8 KiB)