I have a strange and random problem with only one different user per day on RDS over 100 active users.
We use Windows Server 2016.
To explain :
User connect on our RDS farm through a broker
For the user that have the problem, we see that his profile is loading but at the end it finished with a temp profile
It happens only once a day, only for one user and with different server from the farm.
udp uses vhdx
problem since august friday 27th
Searching on event viewer, I've found that at the first openning session from the user who got the problem that there is an error with Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Admin - Error code 0x4005.135
Then, on next try, errors are Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Admin - Error code 0x20.135
I've seen over Microsoft Community that I had to delete "***.bak" registry on ProfileList on Regedit, even the ProfilGuid registry but it doesn't work.
I've tried to move or rename the udp disk but I can't because it says that it's actually locked by System.
I've search on all RDS server and the udp disk is not mounted.
It seems that rebooting the server broker temporary correct the problem.... but only temporary.
Thanks for your help.