I used the Office services that was provided by my university. When I went to study at another university and tried to switch accounts, a forced update happened to Office and ran into an error code and was unsuccessful. It also caused every Microsoft app to crash on start from then on. I tried to use the Support Assistant tool to repair, remove and reinstall every possible instances of the program, but I keep running into the same error message at around 5/9th of the installation part. I tried to look for the error code on the forum, but could not find anything useful.
Error code: 30010-45
Already tried with no affect:
-Disable all antivirus and firewall systems.
-Giving administrator access.
-SaRA uninstall then manual install.