Had another post but must be locked as couldn't write there anymore. So I decided I want to either streamline my environment or do what I need to in order to eliminate Essentials 2016 for obvious reasons. Since there doesn't seem to be a single solve, curious about people's thoughts on individual solutions. Note in my house I have about 14 computers, and XBox devices and NVidia Shields, and numerous servers and iPhones and iPads. I also have my own DNS Server and DHCP Servers. Redundant. All thru Microsoft Server with Essentials being the master of course. Plus my own domain. So getting started:
All below are thoughts on replacement of existing functionality:
1. Backup: Veeam Backup & Replication?
2. Remote Web Access: Remote Desktop Gateway?
3. DNS: Not sure what to do here. Assume I need something so my computers can resolve servers by name?
4. DHCP: Assume I need this as some of my devices have static IP's and some don't. But I also have some get specific IP's by Mac Address when they are at home like an iPhone.
5. Domain: Does it make sense to have all my computers on a domain? Was thinking maybe so I can administratively access people's computers at home or simplify ability to connect for backups and the like? Not sure how Veeam connects and stuff yet.
Thinking also whatever I run will probably be on a dedicated virtual server environment that I will probably turn my Essentials server into so can run multiple individual environments on it. Not against alternatives to Windows solutions for these things. As I started thinking thru options was like does DNS and DHCP need to be thru Windows or are there Linux options? But then if I do need to be on a domain for better device access and communication to shares and the like then maybe that's the path to take anyway?
Not sure if I'm missing any other obvious Essentials pieces I use. i used to use the file server piece on it and image libraries but been a while.
And I'd like to limit things to on-premise solutions only NO CLOUD!!!!!