I had a typo in a users account creation, so I had to make a new one for them. I wanted to see if editing the info (correcting name typo) in the users on-prem properties would affect the Azure object. Since Azure uses Object IDs to reference accounts, but on-prem uses something else (account names? CN?) I wasn't sure the azure ad object would still be associated with the on-prem object. After I changed the name in the on-prem object azure also updated, but since the mailbox for the user wasn't being found I decided to delete the on-prem object which in turn moved the azure object to the deleted users tab. I was hoping by making a new user and re-enabling the account in azure I would be able to just re-associate the objects but after a couple tests that didn't work.
Essentially I'm wondering if there's a way to force Azure to connect to this new account in on-prem AD. If not I believe my only option is to delete the account in on-prem and Azure and start from scratch.
Also I realize this is a long explanation and probably am referring to things by the incorrect name, I'm newer to azure/O365 so please bare with me!