App Center Email Notifications
Many developers want to be automatically notified when key events happen in their apps, and not have to continually log in to a portal for information. Email and webhooks are important notification methods for that.
You can choose to have email notifications automatically sent for the following events:
- Always: when your app builds successfully
- Only if previously failed: when your app has successfully built after one or more failed builds
- Never: you will not receive notifications for build success
- Always: when your app fails to build
- Only if previously successful: when your app has failed to build after one or more successful builds
- Never: you will not receive notifications for build failure
Crashes: when a crash group is created
- A new version is released:
- Immediately: when a new version is released
- Daily: a summary of all your releases for that day will be sent at approximately 0:00 UTC
- Never: you will not receive notifications when a new version is released
- Adding new devices to a release failed:
- Checked: when adding new devices to a release failed
- Unchecked: you will not receive notifications when adding new devices to a release fails
- A new version is released:
Test: when a test run completes
App Center sends email notifications at two levels:
- User level: toggling email notifications here overrides all app level email notifications settings
- App level: toggling email notifications here sets your preferences to receive emails at the app level. Currently, users are only able to toggle email notifications for themselves, not for all collaborators of the app.
App Center sends notifications using the alias
User level email notifications
Navigate to https://appcenter.ms and log in with your account information.
On the top right corner, click your user icon and select Account Settings.
In the middle panel, select Email notifications from the menu list.
In the row panel titled Receive notifications, click the toggle button to enable or disable email notifications for all your apps.
The default email notification settings at the user level are toggled On.
App level email notifications
App level email notifications send information for the specific app to the user.
Navigate to https://appcenter.ms/apps, and select the app you would like to configure email notifications for.
In the left panel, select Settings from the menu list.
In the row panel titled Email notifications, in the far right corner, click the pencil icon to edit your app level email notification settings.
In the row titled Receive notifications, click the toggle button to enable or disable email notifications for the app. Select the dropdown for Build status notifications and the checkbox for Crashes, Distribute and Test notifications to decide what events will trigger an email.
The default email notification settings at the app level are:
- On for receiving email notifications
- Never for Build
- Immediately for Distribute new release
- Checked for when Distribute fails to add new devices to a release
- Unchecked for Crashes
- Checked for Test events
You will receive automatic email notifications when your selected events happen. For example, here is what a Build success email notification looks like:
If your branch name contains other alphanumeric characters than
/, all email notifications will be successfully delivered. However, when you click on the View Build button in the email received, you might be directed to a non-existent page. This is due to the encodings for alphanumeric characters by some email services. We advise you to only use the supported characters in branch names. If this is a blocking issue for you, please contact us via support.