Install a Build
Installation of an application being distributed by App Center begins with an email. If you have access to the application you will receive a notification email for each new version available. Simply click on the install link in the email to begin the process. You will need to enter your credentials to login. If this is your first time accessing App Center, you can instead create a new account. Once logged in you can review the application information and release notes, and click the install button to trigger installation onto your device.
Windows and Certificates Requirements
To install a windows package requires a trusted root certificate installed in the root certificate chain for the device you are installing too. The most common solution is for the developer to sign a application package with a purchased 3rd party provider trusted root certificate. This certificate will chain to through the third party to the Microsoft root store and so will be a trusted cert for all user devices. Developers can opt to use a self-created test certificate and sign the application package, however it will result in additional steps for testers at installation time.
Installing a build signed with a developer test certificate
You can install a test signed app by first installing the test certificate (which is automatically included in the app package) by following these steps.
- Right-click on the
.appxbundlepackage you downloaded via App Center and select properties.
- Under the Digital Signatures tab you should see the test certificate. Click to select the certificate and click on Details button.
- Select the button View Certificate.
- Select the button Install Certificate.
- From the Store Location radio buttons select Local Machine. Click the Next button.
- Click Yes on the admin prompt for changes to your device.
- On the Certificate Import Wizard chose the radio button Place all certificates in the following store then select the Browse button.
- Select the Trusted People certificate store. Then click the OK button.
- Click the Next button on the Certificate Import Wizard window.
- Click Finish button to complete the certificate install.
- You can now close all windows and double click on the
.appxbundlefile. It should now install properly.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.