Intellisense/Colorization broken before build on VSSDK Samples/Wizard-generated projects
In both the October 2005 RTM and December 2005 CTP releases of the Visual Studio SDK, you may notice some odd behavior with building packages generated by the package wizard. This may include:
- No colorization on the MPF based classes
- A single warning before you even build that says "The destination resource can be omitted only if there is exactly one resource file to merge."
- Cannot open the WinForms designer, or if you do, you get an error like "The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within it can be designed"
- Auto-completion not working in the code editor
Mysteriously, once you build, everything seems to work just fine. This is a bug we discovered just before the October release and didn't investigate before we shipped the December release. However, we recently did fix this bug in our internal builds, and the fix was extremely simple. There was a problem with the dependencies for our CTC related targets. Here are the steps to workaround the problem:
- Open <SDK INSTALL FOLDER>\VisualStudioIntegration\Tools\Build\Microsoft.VsSDK.targets in a text editor
- Replace the 2 instances of "CoreResGen" with "ResGen"
- Save the file
This will be fixed in the next CTP of the Visual Studio SDK, but in the meantime, the workaround above should fix your current installation.