Team Build Ticker: parting gift
I had blogged earlier about the BuildTicker tool which sits on the system tray and notifies of builds happening on the server. I have received many requests to get this tool. So here it goes. Get the executable from here and the sources from here. Since I am no longer working on the TFS team you can consider this as my parting gift :)
- This tool was never formally tested. However it is being used by me everyday.
- It comes with no support. In case you hit issues report it in this blog and I'll try to resolve it here.
- Does not need TF client to run
- Runs from System Tray
- Can monitor multiple TF servers and Build Types
- Shows pop-ups to notify of builds
- Tray animation to indicate successful/failed builds
- Integrated to the TF web-ui and you can click it to bring up a Team Build web-report
- Auto start(after restarts)
- First time you run it, it starts silently in the tray without bringing up the configure dialog.
- The pop-up takes away focus (can be majorly irritating when you are typing in some window). However the good news is that after the pop-up closes in a second or two the focus is restored.
- The application needs to be restarted sometimes when you change the TF and Build Types it is supposed to monitor
- Doesn't maintain the list of builds it has captured till date.
How to use
- Unzip to a folder and run the executable
- Right click on the Build Ticker icon in the tray and choose Open Build Ticker
- Choose Server and enter your server and build type details
- Close the dialog. Sometimes it might be required to restart the application at this point
- Start getting notifications
However, I'd recommend that you use the Rss Feed generator and point a windows authentication capable feed-reader like RssBandit to it.