SharePoint 2013 Prerequisites and Errors I’ve seen
Like its predecessors, SharePoint 2013 has a whole list of prerequisites to install. Not unexpected, but yet it’s a hoop we need to plan on jumping through. SharePoint 2013’s prereqs are:
- Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.5 Release Candidate (RC)
- Windows Management Framework 3.0 Release Candidate (RC)
- Application Server Role, Web Server (IIS) Role
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Native Client
- Windows Identity Foundation (KB974405)
- Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 SP1 (x64)
- Windows Identity Extensions
- Microsoft Information Protection and Control Client
- Microsoft WCF Data Services 5.0
- Windows Server AppFabric
- Cumulative Update Package 1 for Microsoft AppFabric 1.1 for Windows Server (KB2671763)
You should read and understand the TechNet article: Hardware and software requirements for SharePoint 2013 Preview. This will help you to prepare for your first install of SharePoint 2013.
Today I had a small issue on one of my Azure VMs as I was installing the prereqs. I received the error “There was an error installing the prerequisites” or something along those lines. I reviewed the logs at: %TEMP%\prerequisiteinstaller.<date>.<time>.log. I noticed that the 2008 R2 SQL Native Client downloaded successfully but didn’t install. This prevented the rest of the prereqs from installing.
This was easy enough fix. SQLNCLI.MSI is a part of the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SP1 Feature Pack. You can find the download here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26728. Once this was installed the prerequisite installer completed successfully.
Overall the install for 2013 is similar to the earlier versions. Happy pointing…