DRMCap tool to gather DRM log files in case of protected content playback problems
I recently found out about a tool that has been released by Microsoft that makes it easier to gather relevant digital rights management (DRM) log files in case you run into protected content playback issues in Windows Media Player and/or Windows Media Center. This tool makes it much easier to gather log files compared to the previous set of manual steps that I have previously posted in the How to gather log file information section of this article.
Here are the steps you can use to download and run the DRMCap tool to automatically gather DRM log file information from your system for troubleshooting purposes:
- Close all applications that are running that may be displaying protected content (including Windows Media Center, Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player). Skipping this step may cause some files to be in use and prevent the tool from collecting them.
- If you are running XP Media Center Edition, stop the eHome Recorder Service by using the following steps:
- Click on the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK
- type net stop ehrecvr
- Download and run DRMCapTool.exe
- Accept the EULA for the tool
- Click on the Run button (step 2 in the dialog)
- Save the results to a cab file by pressing Save (step 3 in the dialog)
After using these steps, you will have a cab file named package.cab that can be sent to technical support personnel for further troubleshooting assistance.