Standalone VC 8.0 SP1 runtime redistributable packages are available for download
I previously wrote a blog post about updated versions of the Visual C++ 8.0 runtime files that shipped as a part of Visual Studio 2005 SP1. At the time I wrote that post, the only place that standalone redistributable packages for the VC 8.0 SP1 runtime files could be obtained was by installing Visual Studio 2005 standard or higher, installing VS 2005 SP1, and then going to the folder %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bootstrapper\Packages.
Recently, standalone versions of the VC 8.0 SP1 runtime files redistributable packages were posted so they can be downloaded directly even if you do not have a system with VS 2005 and SP1 installed. They can be downloaded from the following locations:
- Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en
- Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64) - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=EB4EBE2D-33C0-4A47-9DD4-B9A6D7BD44DA&displaylang=en
- Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (ia64) - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=747AAD7C-5D6B-4432-8186-85DF93DD51A9&displaylang=en
Links for additional information about the VC++ runtime files
The following links contain some additional information that may be useful if you are creating a setup package that will deploy or depend on the VC 8.0 runtime files.
- Nikola Dudar's FAQ about how Visual Studio 2005 SP1 affects applications that rely on the VC++ runtime files - http://blogs.msdn.com/nikolad/archive/2007/02/09/q-a-on-adapting-vs2005-sp1-to-build-your-applications.aspx
- How to silently install the VC++ runtime files redistributable package - http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/02/07/update-regarding-silent-install-of-the-vc-8-0-runtime-vcredist-packages.aspx and http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/08/23/715755.aspx
- How to detect whether or not the original version of the VC++ runtime files redistributable package is installed on a system - http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/01/16/mailbag-how-to-detect-the-presence-of-the-vc-8-0-runtime-redistributable-package.aspx
- How to detect whether or not the VS 2005 SP1 version of the VC++ runtime files redistributable package is installed on a system - https://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/01/24/updated-vc-8-0-runtime-redistributable-packages-are-included-in-visual-studio-2005-sp1.aspx
- How to create an MSI using WiX that consumes the VC++ runtime files merge modules - http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/02/13/building-an-msi-using-wix-v3-0-that-includes-the-vc-8-0-runtime-merge-modules.aspx