Feedback wanted - how do you set column widths in your HTML tables?
My PM asked this question once in the forums but we did not get many replies - lets see how many we get in the blogs.
How do you set the width of your table columns in HTML tables? Do you:
- Set a width on one of the cells in the column and clear the width from all other cells.
- Set a width in all of the cells in the column.
- Use the <COL> tag.
To put it another way, what would you expect the designer to do if you grabbed the edge of a cell and started dragging? Would you expect:
- The cell you grabbed to have the new width written to it.
- The cell you grabbed to have the new width written to it, and all other cells in the column to have widths cleared.
- All cells in the same column as the cell you grabbed to have the new width written to them.
- A <COL> tag is generated for you if it is not there already, all cells in the column have widths cleared, and the <COL> has the new width written to it.
- Something else.
Feel free to express multiple preferences rather than pick one.
For example, my preference is to set the width on all cells (Option 2 in the first list), and I expect the editor to keep that or change tables to look like that when I edit them (Option 3 in the second list). Why do I set on all cells? Because I like the redundancy I suppose. But I know other people have other priorities, which is why I ask this question here.