WCF Performance and Deployment Webcast
Yesterday I delivered the most recent addition to the Framework MasterClass Webcast Series on WCF Performance and Deployment. We covered issues surrounding the deployment and scalability of WCF services as hosted by IIS and Windows Activation Service. As per usual I've posted the code to BenkoTIPS downloads section, but I promised to include some steps in order to make the IIS deployment work. Specifically we had to add some evidence to executables and assemblies used by IIS 7.0 and to do some registering of components. If you're running on Windows Server instead of Vista you may not need to do the same steps because that is currently running IIS 6.0, but here's what I did in any case...
- Configure Windows Vista & IIS 7.0 Features
- In Windows Vista open Control Panel and then click Programs and then open Programs and Features
- In the left pane click on "Turn Windows Features on or off"
- Expand Internet Information Services
- Expand Web Management Tools | IIS 6.0 Management Compatibility, then select IIS Metabase and IIS 6.0 Configuration Compatibility
- Expand World Wide Web Services | Application Development Features and then check the ASP.NET checkbox
- Expand Security and check Windows Authentication. NOTE: necessary related features will automatically be selected as well
- Click OK to close Windows Features
- Add Code Access Security signing to components
- Open Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 Command Prompt (or 2005...)
- Run the Strong Name utility (sn.exe) to add evidence on iisresolver.dll and svcutil.exe
- sn.exe -Vr "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\iisresolver.dll"
- sn.exe -Vr "Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0a\bin\svcutil.exe"
- Register ServiceModel components
- c:\> "c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\ServiceModelReg.exe" -i
Hope this helps. If you have questions, let me know.