New Security Update MS11-022
Hotfix for Security Update MS11-022 released publicly as MS11-036
MS11-036: Description of the security update for PowerPoint 2002: May 10, 2011
Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 (KB2535802) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2535802
MS11-036: Description of the security update for PowerPoint 2003: May 10, 2011
Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 (KB2535812) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2535812
MS11-036: Description of the security update for PowerPoint 2007: May 10, 2011
Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB2535818) - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2535818
Please review the ‘Known issues with this security update’ section of any of the KBs.
Hot Fix for Security Update MS11-022 Now Available
The hot fix is now available for the PowerPoint 2003 Security Update MS11-022. If you had previously removed the security update MS11-022, you do not need to reinstall it. Since the hot fix is cumulative, just install the hot fix and you should be secure.
- The Office Sustained Engineering Blog is updated with information about this release. :
- Article: KB2543241: Description of the PowerPoint 2003 hotfix package
The hotfix for PowerPoint 2002 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2543242
For deployment, the security team that produced the hotfix suggests:
“Once the PowerPoint hotfix becomes available, we suggest applying the hotfix via normal means of hotfix deployment. This would include installing it manually or by using tools such as SCCM/SMS or other 3rd party tools.”
The following blog entry offers some resources on how to publish MSP’s to internal WSUS deployments:
· Adding Cumulative Updates to display in Windows Server Update Services Console:
For the latest on this issue see Office Sustained Engineering blog post http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2011/04/12/april-2011-office-security-update-release.aspx
After applying MS11-022 you may receive the following error when attempting to open a PowerPoint presentation in PowerPoint 2003:
“PowerPoint was unable to display some of the text, images, or objects on slides in the file, "filename", because they have become corrupted. Affected slides have been replaced by blank slides in the presentation and it not possible to recover the lost information. To ensure that the file can be opened in previous versions of PowerPoint, use the Save As command (File menu) and save the file with either the same or a new name.”
For more information, please see KB2464588 MS11-022: Description of the security update for PowerPoint 2003: April 12, 2011
- Save a copy of the file, edit, and save.
- Open presentation in PowerPoint 2003, after receiving the prompt click OK. File/Save As to save a copy of the file, make a minor modification (delete one character, insert it back), save the file.
- Remove backgrounds and delete images from slide master.
- Open file in 2007, make small change, and save.
- Open file in 2007 and remove backgrounds and images in slide master.
- Open file in 2010 and save as PPTX.
- Open file in 2007 and save as Web Page (*.htm; *.html), then save back as ppt.