So what is the solution “stack”?
So what exactly is the Microsoft BI Story? And why, when you look into it do you hear so much about a solution “stack”? I think the simplest way to think about this is by using a kind of jigsaw analogy to solve a puzzle… Think of each component part of a piece of software as a piece in the overall puzzle solution. An organisation can select each piece of the puzzle needed to complete their own solution, from the required infrastructure to the database and on to the end user applications. Each piece of their solution is joined together to build a “stack” of technology on which their business applications can sit, safe in the knowledge that the technology will work together as seamlessly as pieces in a jigsaw puzzle fit.
In the Microsoft Business Intelligence technology “stack”, we have:
- Business Scorecard Manager (BSM)
- Microsoft SharePoint Products & Technologies
- Microsoft Excel
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
- SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- SQL Server Relational Database Management System (SSRDBMS)