Windows 7 search returns nothing (again)
I have been stumped by this a few times and it drives me crazy. The new windows OS's are supposed to have the speediest search capability so far and yet when I search for files that I know exist, they cannot be found.
The other day I was trying to clean up my harddrive and I wanted to find all the files with extension BLG. Once found I wanted to delete them all. The search tool could find no files of that type at all. I was using the *.blg wildcard.
- select the folder in the windows explorer
- hit the ALT key which should bring up the TOOLS menu
- select Tools > Folder Options
- a pop-up window appears with 3 tabs
- select the SEARCH tab
- selec the option "Always search file names and contents (this might take several minutes)
Your searches will now be slower but yes you will be able to find what your are looking for. I can't quite figure out what the point of having a search solution that is fast but can't anything!