ASP.NET MVC 4 Roadmap Announced
The ASP.NET MVC team recently announced their roadmap for v4. The roadmap contains a lot of topics but the general themes for the next release include:
- Development and deployment: We want to smooth out the development and deployment workflow to be easier, better, and faster.
- Capitalize on the platform: The Razor view engine and some of the new helpers in ASP.NET MVC 3 came out of work done for ASP.NET Web Pages. We’ll continue to invest in shared features throughout the web platform that we can incorporate into ASP.NET MVC.
- Ajax: Whether it be adding a dash of Ajax to an existing web application or implementing a full-fledged single-page application (e.g. Gmail), we are looking at ways to improve the Ajax development story within ASP.NET MVC. We have a few ideas already, but we’re deep in the process of application building to help us expose and understand pain points that we can fix.
- HTML5, tablet, and mobile: There’s an industry trend towards building mobile and tablet applications by simply building an HTML5 web application. An HTML5 application provides the widest possible distribution option and runs on the widest set of devices. But writing an app geared towards mobile and tablet devices takes experience. We want to make it easier to get started building such applications.
- Cloud ready: We want the task of deploying and hosting web applications in the cloud (such as on Windows Azure) to be quick and easy. In order to get the most from the cloud, we’ll focus on performance, security, and scalability.
For more information on ASP.NET be sure to visit the official site here.