Upgrading Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows 10 Mobile with Microsoft Intune and SCCM
So you want to upgrade your Windows Phone 8.1 fleet to Windows 10? If you are using Intune Hybrid (SCCM as your Mobile Device Management Authority), this guide is for you. If you are using Intune standalone mode, use this one.
1. Open the Configuration Manager Console
2. Create a new Configuration Item (Assets and Compliance > Compliance Settings > Configuration Items)
7. In the Create Setting screen, enter the following information, the click Apply
Name: Enterprise Upgrade
Description: Enterprise Upgrade (or something descriptive)
Data Type: String
9. On the Create Rule page, enter in a rule name and description. Importantly, enter the value (as below) and select Remediate noncompliant rules when supported
14. Now that the baseline is created, it just needs to be deployed. Select the baseline, then click Deploy. Select Remediate noncompliant rules when supported and Allow remediation outside the maintenance window. Click Browse, Then select a device or user collection
15. Check the deployment progress under Monitoring>Deployments. Make sure you allow some time for the Configuration to be deployed to intune, and the phones to update policy (This can take up to 8 hours for Windows Phones that have enrolled already).
16. Users will receive a notification that an update is ready to install and will be required to take action.
- Make sure your phones are capable of running Windows 10. The list of supported devices is here or you can install the Upgrade Advisor App on a test phone to determine if an upgrade will be possible
- Phones will need to be connected to WI-FI or mobile data
- Phones should be sufficiently charged (above 50%)